Goddess

Goddess

Friday, October 21, 2016

Golu Get-together 2016

One of the things that fascinates me most about Navaratri are the many ways it's celebrated in different parts of India, in various communities, according to each family's distinct traditions.

I'm from the Southern part of India - from Tamil Nadu. One of the features of Navaratri in Tamil Nadu (and also in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka) is the setting up of the golu during these nine days. There are of course guidelines governing the rituals of golu. Personally, I'm not much of a stickler for rules. I treat them as suggestions rather than as set in stone. Still, in so far as possible (and practical), I do try to follow them. This was my golu this year.


Golu 2016

Traditionally,  a golu has odd number of tiers. Mine has seven. As you may have guessed by now, 'golu' is a showcase of dolls. But during Navaratri, it is treated as much more than a doll display. This is the world in microcosm. The formless Divine Mother is made manifest as Creation. All that we see, all that we experience is She alone. Thus we see in Golu, Gods in juxtaposition with the familiar and the mundane.

One other thing that's done during Navaratri all across India is women visiting one another. The hostess welcomes them as embodiments of Devi (the Goddess).


With my devis

And what's a get-together without food? If you've gone through this blog, you'll know that there are specific food items intended for each form of the Goddess on each of the nine days. This year, I tried to base the menu on the foods and grains that were relevant to that particular day.


Instead of puliodorai (spicy tamarind rice) I served a lighter version - puli idiaappam (Spicy Tamarind Rice Noodles).



Tuar Dhal Suliyan (Fried Dumplings with Sweet Filling of Tuar Dhal and Jaggery)


Mango Juice, Mixed Fruit Chaat, Black-eyed Peas Sundal

Now we come to the part I always look forward to. When the women take leave, the hostess offers them 'thamboolam'. This a tray of gifts which always include haldi-kumkum, flowers and a 'bouse bit' (piece of fabric). Optionally, there can be fruit, coconuts, and bangles, The 'thamboolam' I give to my friends differs each year. This year, I had bought some pre-packaged gift bags on my last trip to India.




And this is what they had inside...



I'm not a big fan of the 'blouse bit'. Even in India, they tend to get re-gifted a lot. Instead, every year, I try to find some little thing that will tickle the girls' fancy and put a smile on their face. This year, I was lucky enough to find these.


Cute, don't you think? The little Asian girls are a salt-and-pepper shaker set, as are the kittens. An owl-shaped grater and a woodlands animal-themed measuring spoon set. Now the assembled thamboolam.


I think my friends will like these. 

So, till we meet again next Navaratri. May the Grace of the Goddess bless you and yours. And remember, women of faith and love can and do make this world a better place.


No comments: